In Case of An Accident
In Case of an Accident, Have a Plan
We all hate to think bout having an accident and the subsequent trauma it may cause in your life, however the time to think about this possibility is before the situation arises, while our head is clear, and you are in a position to make the appropriate decisions. Having a plan in case of a car accident is as important as a plan in case of a household fire. Everyone who uses your vehicles should be aware of your plan.
1. Assess whether you or anyone involved in the accident need medical assistance. Determine your own safety, then check with others involved and, if necessary, immediately call for an ambulance.
2. If possible, safely move your vehicle to the side of the road and out of the path of oncoming traffic. This will keep you at a safe distance from traffic while you exchange information with the other driver(s) involved and make it easier for police and ambulance workers to reach the scene of the accident.
3. Call the police and then call Todd’s Body Shop & Towing for a tow. No matter the accident, you reserve the right to choose your towing provider. Police will take statements from the driver(s) involved and determine if a police report is necessary. This information will be important when filing insurance claims for your accident. It helps to note the officer’s name and badge number in case your insurance agent or attorney need to contact the officer.
4. Exchange information with the other driver(s) involved. Information should include: name, address, & phone number of driver(s); year, make, model, & license plate number of the vehicle(s); and insurance company, policy number, and agent information.
5. Photograph the accident scene and damage to your car & other vehicles involved in the accident. This will help document the damage when you submit and insurance claim.
6. Stay with your vehicle until the police have finished filing all their paperwork and your car has been loaded onto the tow truck. You can ride with your vehicle in the tow truck to Todd’s Body Shop & Towing and receive your rental from there. Or you can arrange your own means of transportation later on. Once your vehicle is at Todd’s Body Shop & Towing, you will coordinate with our expert claim handlers and the rest is up to us!
Top 10 Things To Know Before Having Your Car Repaired
1. Your car is the second largest investment you’re likely to make. Preserve its value and your safety by having it repaired professionally.
2. Never drive a car that could be unsafe because of damages.
3. Some insurance companies may want you to visit their drive-in claims center before having your car repaired. You can do this, or you may leave your car at our shop and ask that the insurance company inspect the car here.
4. You are NOT required by law to obtain more than one estimate or appraisal.
5. You have the right to go to the repair shop of YOUR choice. Your insurance company CANNOT require you to go to a particular shop.
6. Differences in repair estimates are common. A lower estimate may not include all necessary work. If you’re not sure why one estimate is different from another you’ve received, please ask us.
7. Choose a body shop that has uni-body repair equipment and certified (by I-CAR or ASE, for example) technicians.
8. Ask if the shop will be using genuine manufacturer (OEM) replacement parts.
9. Ask if the shop offers a repair warranty.
10. Let us help you negotiate your claim with the insurance company.